Actually, wrong. As with the coffee and craft beer trends, Rochester and the nearby Finger Lakes region are kind of on fire when it comes to winemaking:
- New York State is a top 4 wine producing state, and the Finger Lakes region is the largest wine region in the state.
- The Finger Lakes region consists of well over 100 wineries.
- Food & Wine magazine lists the Finger Lakes as one of the seven best Riesling regions in the world.
- Two Finger Lakes wineries, Ravine Wine Cellars and Hermann J. Weimer Vineyard, were named Top 100 wineries in 2014 in a global ranking by Wine & Spirits magazine.
- Despite being mislabeled as unable to make red wine, the region regularly produces Pinot Noirs with Wine Enthusiast ratings of 88 and 89.
- TripAdvisor has previously identified the region as the 4th best wine destination in the U.S.
Well worth a read is Evan Dawson's captivating book about the region, Summer in a Glass.