But in typical Rochester fashion, the ethnic food scene has a tendency to surprise. To be clear, the quality, flavors, and options do not remotely resemble New York City. As a trade off, Rochester is a tad bit cheaper, has slightly less traffic, and does not require 2-year-olds to interview for preschool. Using rocwiki.org as a guide, some unanticipated food choices in the region include:
- Anywhere between 10 and 12 Indian restaurants. The names and locations change from time to time, but this range is generally accurate.
- Ethiopian restaurants. At last count, there are 4.
- At least 3 Korean restaurants.
- At least 3 Dominican restaurants.
- Perhaps 9 Jamaican restaurants, if not more.
- Maybe 12 Vietnamese or part-Vietnamese restaurants.
- 3 entirely vegan restaurants (with many others having vegan options.)